The Hyde Park Railroad Station is located on River Road in Hyde Park, NY, at Riverside Park. A station was built at this location around 1851, when the Hudson River Railroad was constructed from New York City to Albany. That structure was torn down and replaced by the current station in 1914.
The last regularly-scheduled New York Central passenger train stopped there in 1958. Subsequently the outer two tracks of the four-track "Water Level Route" were removed, and the entrances to the tunnel passage serving the southbound platform were boarded over.
The station, freight house and property was sold to the Town of Hyde Park by the New York Central Railroad. The station was used for a while as a youth center. By the early 1970's, it was badly vandalized and slated for demolition when the HUDSON VALLEY RAILROAD SOCIETY signed a lease for the building with the town in 1975. A great deal of repair work, both interior and exterior had to be done by the society. Windows, doors, exterior trim, as well as the Spanish tile roof had to be repaired or replaced to make the station weather tight.
The interior work included rebuilding the ticket booth, refurbishing benches, waiting room, and baggage room. Wiring, plumbing and heating systems had to be rebuilt. All the restoration work was done at the Society's own expense. All maintenance and restoration of the station is the sole responsibility of the Society. Inside the Station you will find displays depicting the area's railroading past, running models trains, and knowledgeable railroad enthusiasts who can answer your questions about the great "Iron Horse".
We are located at the foot of the hill which is formed by West Market Street and River Road that follows the south wall of the Vanderbilt’s Estate. Even though the station is inactive, a very active Hudson Division still exists. AMTRAK trains that pass the station are unique to the EMPIRE CORRIDOR SERVICE.
The Hudson Valley Railroad Society (HVRRS)-- a society of railroad modelers in all scales, railroad history buffs, and railfans -- now maintains the Hyde Park Station. The HVRRS was founded in 1966 in Bill Comley's house. Bill was running a business selling model train supplies, and he started the HVRRS as a way to further the hobby. The first Train Show was in 1972.
Within 3 years, the HVRRS found its permanent home at the Hyde Park Station. The bulldozer was in the parking lot, waiting to knock the Station down, when the HVRRS members took possession of the building.
Ever since, the HVRRS has been restoring the Hyde Park Station, promoting the hobby of Model Railroading, preserving historical artifacts donated by the public, and holding on to the history of railroads in the Hudson Valley.
Any Monday night (except holidays), come on down to 34-38 River Road, Hyde Park, NY.
MAILING ADDRESS: PO Box 135, Hyde Park, New York 12538-0135, United States
07:00 pm – 09:00 pm
For an appointment to view the Hyde Park Station, contact us at 845.229.2338